Sunday, March 8, 2009

Progress: Combining S, R, J


When I originally began work on this project I focused on each letter individually. I found the history and the associations very fascinating. As I have studied the letters "S", "R", and "J," it has become more apparent how the imagery surrounding each of them can be intertwined. I know that for this poster we are supposed to create something that shows the meaning and connotations of these letters as well as their graphical evolution.

I thought it was really interesting that both "S" and "R" are associated with threatening animals: a snake and specifically a growling dog, while "J" is associated with the hand, arm, and forearm showing strength and force. So I have chosen to depict a scene that combines all of this. The early version of "S," which means tooth, is within the dog's mouth. I thought it would be interesting to incorporate the early versions of each letter as bones on the ground or other objects, which I have not added yet. Right now it is a very symbolic depiction of the letters and I want to add visual representations of "R" and "J" in some way so the viewer will be able to associate this poster with the letters more easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment