Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Artist Event: SMP Opening

SMP Show II

I really enjoyed the SMP show because many different elements were incorporated. Ya Haddy's work focused on her search to find herself. I thought it was interesting that she said she often defined herself based on the people around her. She had talked about how she chose to do pen and ink, but this was not her usual medium.

It was amazing how Emily Norris used her experience with carrara in order to create three dimensional spaces of backyards and found objects and then chose to paint over them. I really enjoyed this topic because I like the idea of mixing digital media with the tradition of painting.

Bonnie Veblen's paintings were really beautiful. She had mentioned how she was afraid of paint, but her works were extremely successful. I especially liked the dark work because its size and tone really creates an intense mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment